A page for reflection and sharing within the A-period Algebra II class.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Watching pro-football this Sunday, I saw many players and referees wearing pink shoes or wrist bands to show support. At first this show of support made me very happy. Then, I stopped to think about it, and questioned the real affect that this show of support had on the viewers.

I want to know how you feel about these pro-sports players or actors wearing ribbons and shoes, etc. Do you think that it raises awareness? What sort of emotion is evoked when you see these "pink items?" What more could these high profile "stars" be doing for a cause such as these?

Does seeing this show of support, the pink items, motivate you to do more than you may already be doing for specific causes? Would it spur your parents to do more?

Remember this is your opinion, but please support it!

5 comments:

  1. I think that it definitely raises awareness because a lot of the viewers are men, who usually aren't as active in breast cancer support as women. It made me happy to see the players wearing pink; it showed that they care about more than just their sport. The NFL website could also have an feature about BC awareness on it andpossibly a donations link (maybe they did?). Unfortunately I didn't get involved in this cause, but the uniform additions certainly got my attention and opened my eyes to breast cancer awareness month.

    -Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a good idea because as Brooke said, it does add to the awareness. People seem to enjoy following the celebs fads and although they may not be donating a million dollars to the cause they still are promoting it, which may encourage others to do so as well. It gets the word out and supports people that are affected by Breast Cancer

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that the celebrities wearing pink items raises awareness. We have a copy of sports illustrated because my cousing plays for the denver broncos and he is on the cover of the magazine wearing pink gloves. His grandmother, who is also my great grandmother is a breast cancer survivor, and he invited her to watch the game as an honorary survivor. Celebrities are such huge icons that whatever cause they choose to support usually becomes mainstream. I don't think it should be taken further, however. I think there should be more money donated not only to breast cancer, but to all types of cancer.

    -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hellooooooooooooo~~

    This is my response to the question: "Why +/- important" with the like coefficient and such. And how does it affect the answer/solution/graph.
    Okay, so i used Google because I'm lazy and i found a site that explains how the sign of the coefficient affects the graph/parabola. Okay so, basically it said that a positive quadratic coefficient makes the ends of the parabola point like up./ make a happy face. A negative quadratic coefficient makes the ends of the parabola point downward/ make an unhappy face. It also said that the greater the quadratic coefficient, the more narrow the parabola is . The lesser the quadratic coefficient, the wider the parabola is. so, signs and the values of the coefficients are like inversely proportional to the Parabola (its shape and direction).

    I hope i answered the question right/ answered the right question... at least i tried :P

    Heres a link to the page where i got my info: http://www.abcte.org/files/previews/math/s4_p2.html

    ~Kellie~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. im pretty sure the +/- is important because it determines the orientation of the parabola.
    I think...

    ReplyDelete